Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Therapy...therapy... therapy. Finally progress in sight.

Today was our first day of in-home therapy through Fairfax County early intervention. I was actually very impressed with the therapist, and for the first time in a long time, I feel confident that Evie will be making a lot of progress, and SOON! For the past 5 months Evie has been making tiny, tiny steps in her gross motor development, but nothing like we had hoped or anticipated. She is literally just "sitting" at a plateau. The private therapists we have been taking her to haven't been able to accomplish anything with her, and beyond that, I don't think they even really get her at all... what motivates her, what she does and why, her personality type, what sets her off, etc. Its very frustrating. I have been so close to just stopping PT all together because I honestly feel like I can do better at home what she is getting at therapy, and she definitely responds better to Mom, of course.

With that said, our first visit today with Stacey went really well. Of course Evie did spend a small portion crying, but at least we were making progress. She was the first person in a long time to comment on Evie's lack of abdominals or lack of using her abdominals and the effects of that it has on her willingness and ability to crawl. Evie absolutely LOVES to stand, so we are going to use that to her benefit by beginning with crawling up the stairs, rather than across the floor. This way she gets a reward of standing after being briefly on her knees. It was tough for her the first time, but I can envision real progress here. And at least it's something new for her. We are also going to work on building her stomach muscles and rotating across her body.

I hope that in a few weeks I can report some real accomplishments in this area :) Wish us luck!!!

1 comment:

Jess said...

I am glad to see that she is doing well! if you are looking for another like-minded mom,my firned Caroline in Arlington has been doing intensive PT and OT with her daughter- her website is www.estradafamilyblog.blogspot.com.
You can see the progress that they have made.
Jess